SEACON » Blog Successful Delivery for Thunderhorse Project - SEACON

Successful Delivery for Thunderhorse Project

20/6/05.

During August of this year, SEACON (europe) Ltd became involved in The Thunderhorse Project The Thunderhorse fields are located in the Gulf of Mexico and will be developed using one of the world’s largest semi-submersible floating production platform’s. The project operated by British Petroleum Exploration & Production Inc (BP) who has 75% equity interest and Exxon Mobil Who has the remaining 25%, is the largest discovery to date and is capable of producing 250,000 bbls of oil per day at peak rate with production due to start in 2005.

This project has presented some of the toughest challenges in the US Gulf due to very deep water. Drilling teams have encountered some of the highest wellhead pressures and temperatures ever experienced In the Gulf. The project is expected to last for 10 years with a number of deep wells expected to be drilled in the range of 18,000 to 23,000 ft.

SEACON (europe) Ltd supplied three of their electro-optic field installable connectors for this project. A considerable amount of design work was required In order to ensure that the connectors met the cable specified. One of the key design requirements was that the fiber optic readings remained stable during pressure cy- cling. The fact this was achieved greatly impressed the customer and has given us a distinct advantage over our competitors. The connector passed all testing and delivery was made successfully to a very tight timescale.

SEACON (europe)’s experienced technicians will shortly be performing the on-site installations of these connectors at two different locations k1 the US; two on the floating production platform located at Corpus Cristi and one in Houston.